— Dr. Hasan Sapci, Assistant Professor
Wednesday October 5 is the date of our next live online Graduate Programs in Healthcare Informatics Information Session!
Register now »
Healthcare organizations and their partners have an unprecedented amount of data due to the adoption of new technologies and improvements in our ability to participate in real-time virtual collaboration, predict physiological trends, monitor patients and track physical activity. Similar advancements have been made in our ability to store enormous amounts of complex patient-sensitive digital information. Healthcare informatics professionals play a critical role in helping their organizations manage and use that information to improve patient care and make their organizations operate more efficiently.
Whether you’re an experienced health professional, health IT professional, or are looking to switch careers, the healthcare informatics field offers a wide range of opportunities. Our online MS in Healthcare Informatics equips you with the tools you need to advance your career in this increasingly data-driven future.
Request Brochure — Start Here
To learn more about Adelphi University’s online MS in Healthcare Informatics and download a brochure, fill out the fields below or call us at 888.252.4110 to talk with one of our enrollment counselors.
What Is Healthcare Informatics?
Healthcare informatics is about helping organizations manage their data more effectively to improve the quality of care and enhance efficiency. Informatics exists for clinical and business purposes, giving organizations the system-processes and tools to predict, collect, store, manage and analyze data.
Using health informatics effectively also enhances collaboration and improves care. For example, nurses, doctors and the entire clinical team rely on emerging healthcare technologies to better communicate, collaborate and coordinate patient care. Getting the right information to the right person at the right time is essential for good patient outcomes. Informatics is the engine that powers this collaborative data mechanism.
Online Master’s in Healthcare Informatics Program Overview
- Apply information science and technology solutions to solve health informatics problems
- Identify strategies that contribute to effective telemedicine program development
- Analyze how clinicians and patients use technology to improve the quality of care
- Interpret the interrelationships between information and health behavior
- Design and develop modeling solutions for clinical decision-making.
—Dr. Hasan Sapci, Assistant Professor
By enrolling in the program, you’ll gain knowledge on the effective use of cutting-edge telemedicine and telehealth systems. Additionally, you’ll develop a thorough understanding of how to transform raw medical data into valuable information.
With hands-on exercises and a comprehensive education in health information technology, you’ll have the opportunity to develop your proficiency with different health information systems, such as electronic medical records (EMRs), that are critical to improving patient care around the world.
The master’s degree in health informatics is in candidacy status, pending accreditation review by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
Learn more about our curriculum.
- An online research laboratory that allows for a hands-on learning experience no matter where you are in the world.
- Distinguished faculty members with diverse professional backgrounds who will provide you with a personalized and supportive learning experience.
- Expert assistance from dedicated Adelphi faculty and staff when determining a location to complete your practicum.
- Gain field experience and graduate from a high-ranked school with a strong alumni network and national reputation for excellence.
- Flexible entrance requirements no matter your experience or background — no GRE required.
Healthcare Informatics Careers
There are many careers that utilize health informatics skills, including both clinical and non-clinical positions. According to Burning Glass, a platform that collects data from job postings, some of the most common health informatics careers include roles like registered nurses and clinical managers as well as more data-centric positions like applications manager and data analysts. The median estimated salary for jobs mentioning health informatics was $74,190 in 2019; for those same roles that mention a master’s degree, the median salary increases to $84,584.
We designed our online healthcare informatics master’s program to be comprehensive and career-focused, ensuring that students graduate with leadership, managerial, technical and analytical skills to advance their careers and help bring meaningful change in the healthcare field.
As a result, our program equips graduates with relevant skills for a variety of roles, including:
- Application Specialist
- Clinical Data Analyst
- Clinical Data Manager
- Computer Network Architect
- Electronic Health Record Builder
- Health Informatics Management Director
- Health IT Support
- IT Manager
- Nursing Information Specialist
- Systems Analyst
- Web Developer
Who Can Benefit
The online MS in Healthcare Informatics program is geared to individuals with busy professional and personal lives who want to expand their knowledge of health information systems, hone their skills in leveraging healthcare data for decision-making and advance or change careers. Our students have varying educational and professional backgrounds and may have no professional experience in healthcare or technology. They include:
- Existing health IT professionals (RHIA, RHIT, HIM, etc.)
- Clinicians (doctors, nurses, pharmacists, lab techs, etc.)
- Non-health IT professionals (programmers, analysts, database administrators, etc.)
- Career changers