—U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
What Is Healthcare Informatics?
Healthcare informatics is about helping organizations manage their data more effectively to improve the quality of care and enhance efficiency. Informatics exists for clinical and business purposes, giving organizations the system-processes and tools to predict, collect, store, manage and analyze data.
Using health informatics effectively also enhances collaboration and improves patient care. For example, nurses, doctors and the entire clinical team rely on emerging healthcare technologies to better communicate, collaborate and coordinate patient care. Getting the right information to the right person at the right time is essential for good patient outcomes. Informatics is the engine that powers this collaborative data mechanism.
Request Brochure — Start Here
To learn more about Adelphi University’s online Advanced Certificate in Healthcare Informatics and download a brochure, fill out the fields below or call us at 888.252.4110 to talk with one of our enrollment counselors.
Advanced Certificate in Healthcare Informatics Program Overview
– Mary L. Jahrsdoerfer, PhD, Clinical Assistant Professor and Program Director
Adelphi University’s online Advanced Certificate in Healthcare Informatics program is designed for working professionals both inside and outside of the medical field who are eager to hone their health informatics skills. Through project-based learning and asynchronous coursework, students develop their expertise in a mix of technical and health operations disciplines, including business, health informatics, information systems, organizational and project management and data security and analysis.
This 12-credit health informatics certificate online program allows you to complete your studies in just over a year, while gaining specialized training through two specialized track options: technology or clinical.
Depending on the track you choose, you’ll learn to apply information science and technology solutions to solve health informatics problems, identify strategies that contribute to effective telemedicine program development, analyze how clinicians and patients use technology to improve quality of care and interpret the interrelationships between information and health behavior and design and develop modeling solutions for clinical decision-making.
Our online health informatics certificate program is taught by the same diverse group of leaders who teach our online MS in Healthcare Informatics.
- Earn your certificate in 15 months. This advanced certificate allows students to gain specialized healthcare skills more cost- and time-effectively.
- Learn from expert faculty with diverse career backgrounds. Our faculty is made up of doctors, nurses, educators and business leaders dedicated to providing support to students and creating engaging coursework.
- Experience a specialized curriculum with an interdisciplinary edge. Choose between our technology or clinical informatics tracks. Both integrate concepts in business, health informatics, information systems, organizational and project management — all within a healthcare framework.
- Make connections and gain industry insight from a top-ranked university. Adelphi has been repeatedly recognized as a Career Development College and a College of Distinction in Engagement, Teaching, Community and Outcomes thanks to our commitment to equipping students with the skills to succeed in their lifelong career journey.
- A program designed for working professionals. Through a 100% online learning platform and asynchronous coursework, you can earn your certificate anywhere, anytime. No GMAT/GRE required.
- A certificate that can stand on it’s own or be a head start toward earning a master’s degree. Once you earn your certificate, you have the option of entering our online MS in Healthcare Informatics program without reapplying. The credits you earn will count toward your master’s degree.
– U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Who Can Benefit From an Online Health Informatics Certificate?
Adelphi’s online healthcare informatics certificate program welcomes students from a diverse range of professional backgrounds, including doctors, nurses, dentists, business professionals, IT experts and more. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to connect with peers from similar, as well as very different, professional perspectives in our program. For example, our current students include:
- Experienced medical professionals who are ready to expand their insight into how technology plays a role in healthcare
- Business-driven professionals who are looking to gain medical knowledge for health informatics careers
- Career changers who want to dip their toe into the field of healthcare informatics without committing to a master’s degree
Health Informatics Careers
A health informatics certificate can increase your salary and equip you with marketable skills. PayScale shows that the median salary for health informatics specialists is $67,080 a year. Earning a health informatics certificate online is a great way to start taking the next step in your career, while still excelling within your current role. Our program can help you better understand the data health organizations depend on and give you with the skills to pursue a wide variety of opportunities within health informatics. For example, some health informatics jobs include:
- Electronic medical records specialist
- Healthcare informatics specialist
- Project management
- Data analyst
- Nursing informatics technician
- Health IT support