Students have two opportunities to begin the Online M.S.W. program each year.
Upcoming Start Date:
The next start date is January 17, 2019 (Spring Term).
The Admissions Committee reviews applications on a rolling basis. However, we recommend submitting your application by November 1 for the Spring semester and by July 1 for the Fall semester.
Note: Advanced Standing students must begin the program in the Summer.
Requirements for admission to the Adelphi University College of Social Work graduate programs are based on prior academic performance, values that are consistent with the social work profession, and paid and/or volunteer human service experience. Admission requirements include:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a strong background in the liberal arts and sciences
- Personal characteristics and qualifications related to successful professional performance consistent with the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics
- A minimum 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA on a four-point scale
- Paid or volunteer experience in the human services preferred
- Participation in an interview via Google Hangout may be required (case-by-case basis)
Advanced Standing program applicants must also submit evidence of the following:
- An undergraduate degree within the past five years from a social work program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
- GPA of 3.0 or better on a four-point scale in all social work courses
- Two professional letters of recommendation:
- One must be from your field liaison/field instructor from your senior or junior year, however there is a preference for senior year instructor recommendations.
- A faculty member recommendation is preferred for the second letter.
Note: Students are not required to take the GRE for admission to the program.
In order to complete the application, all candidates must submit the following:
- Completed application
- Official transcripts for all schools attended. See below for more information.
- Personal statement/essay describing how your interest in social work developed, including life experiences that influenced this choice. View the essay questions for the Online M.S.W. program.
- Two letters of recommendation preferably from supervisors in social agencies, college faculty or other non-relatives who are equipped to evaluate your readiness for graduate study
Note: For advanced standing applications, one letter of recommendation must be from your faculty field liaison or field instructor, the second preferably from a faculty member
- Professional resume — preferred but not required
- $50 application fee
No GRE is required for admission.
Transcript Submission Details
All candidates must submit official undergraduate transcripts for all schools where credits were earned toward the conferred degree.
Official eScripts can be sent to our office electronically (directly from the institution) to email@example.com, or via mail (in sealed envelopes) to:
Adelphi Admissions: Adelphi University
Office of University Admissions
Levermore Hall, Room 114
1 South Avenue
P.O. Box 701
Garden City, New York 11530-0701
Back to top